Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Prayer

I was looking deep in my hard drive for an old file, and found words of an old friend, I love the fact Mike's life was Messy and his relationship with His God was Messy and not prefect.


By Michael YaconelliI

have always been terrible at praying. I forget. My mind wanders. I fall asleep. I don't pray enough.I don't understand what prayer is or what prayer does.If prayer were school…I would flunk praying. But prayer isn't school.It is mystery. Maybe the mystery is… Jesus loves terrible prayers.Maybe… when I can't think of anything to say, he says what I can't say.When I talk too much, he cherishes my too-many words.When I fall asleep, he holds me in his lap and caresses my weary soul.When I am overwhelmed with guilt at my inconsistent, inadequate praying he whispers, "Your name is always on my lips."I am filled with gratitude, my soul overflows with thankfulness and I find myself saying over and over again, "Thank you." Praying the mystery.

No comments: